IT TAKES A NEIGHBORHOOD TO RAISE A COMMUNITY
We coined this phrase because evidence shows that the first and most crucial component to creating thriving communities is to build and strengthen neighborly relationships.
8 Front Doors Challenge in Wichita, Kansas
Do you live in South Central Wichita, KS? If so, click here to learn about the 8 Front Doors Challenge happening in your neighborhood.
I Did The 8FDC
Let us know if you have completed your Block Map. We would love to hear about your experience if you’ve already started or completed the 8 Front Doors Challenge!
The 8 Front Doors Challenge
- Are open to connecting with your neighbors
- Are willing to take action to strengthen your neighborhood
And you want…
- To feel that you have people you can call on when there is a need.
- To create a place where people are proud to live.
- To feel safe where you live and see crime rates lower.
- To find and foster cooperation, hospitality, kindness, and generosity in your community.
- To highlight the positive stories of people and places in your neighborhood.
EVERYBODY HAS SOMETHING TO OFFER
Neighboring can transform your community for generations to come, reduce crime, erase the negative stigmas, and create a place that people want to live, where they’re proud to live and to come to do business.
It all starts with “Hello!”
- Improves public health
- Improves neighborhood safety
- Makes neighborhoods more resilient
- Fosters a sense of belonging
- Allows elders to age in place
- Improves mental health
Read more by checking out the book The Abundant Community, by John McKnight
If you want to learn how to be a great neighbor, you’re in the right place.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to knock on doors where I don’t feel safe?
We never want to ask someone to meet a neighbor if they don’t feel safe doing so.
Do I have to become friends with all my neighbors?
No, just knowing their name and a little about them makes a difference.
What if some neighbors don’t want to participate?
That is OK. It takes time to build trust.
Do I have to do this if I’m not a very outgoing person?
We invite you to neighbor in a way that suits you.
Do you have any tips on how to host a block party?
Yes! Check out these blog articles. They’re loaded with tips on how to throw block parties:
I live in an apartment complex. How does neighboring work in that setting?
Neighboring is beneficial in all different settings! Here’s a helpful blog about apartment neighboring:
Can I do the 8 Front Doors Challenge in a rural setting?
Yes! However, we know that homes are often much farther apart in rural areas. Therefore it may take longer to get to know people. We have seen rural neighbors come together to organize a recycling effort or a field day to discuss cover crops.