The 2021 8 Front Doors Challenge Neighborhood: SoCe
- Live in SoCe, in Wichita, Kansas, between Kellogg Ave. and Lincoln St. and between the Arkansas River and Washington St.
- Are open to connecting with neighbors.
- Are willing to take action to strengthen your neighborhood.
AND YOU WANT…
- To feel that you have people you can call on when there is a need.
- To create a place where people are proud to live.
- To feel safe where you live and see crime rates lower.
- To find and foster cooperation, hospitality, kindness, and generosity on your block.
- To highlight the positive stories of people and places in your neighborhood.
What and Where is SoCe?
proper noun, derivative of South Central
1.South Central ICT Neighborhood, South of Kellogg from Washington to the River.
2.A quirky place to live with talented, resilient neighbors who care about each other.
SoCe (short for South Central) is a neighborhood in Wichita, KS and is made up of approximately 600-800 homes. It is located between Kellogg Ave. and Lincoln St. and between the Arkansas River and Washington St.
We coined this phrase because evidence shows that the first and most crucial component to creating thriving communities is to build and strengthen neighborly relationships.
Neighboring creates lasting change:
- Improves public health
- Improves neighborhood safety
- Makes neighborhoods more resilient
- Fosters a sense of belonging
- Allows elders to age in place
- Improves mental health
If you want to learn how to be a great neighbor, you’re in the right place.
Read more by checking out the book The Abundant Community, by John McKnight
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to knock on doors where I don’t feel safe?
We never want to ask someone to meet a neighbor if they don’t feel safe doing so.
Do I have to become friends with all my neighbors?
No, just knowing their name and a little about them makes a difference.
What if some neighbors don’t want to participate?
That is OK. It takes time to build trust.
Do I have to do this if I’m not a very outgoing person?
We invite you to neighbor in a way that suits you.
Do you have any tips on how to host a block party?
Yes! Check out these blog articles. They’re loaded with tips on how to throw block parties: